Yoga Teacher Training FAQs
How are the hours covered?
Is there a foundation course available before the 200 hour course?
Who can apply for the 200 hour course?
- The 200-hour Hatha Yoga course is aimed at anyone practising Yoga for many years, or someone relatively new to Yoga (for two years or longer).
- The programme is for any student who has a deep desire to expand their knowledge, skills and understanding and wish to teach Yoga.
- Our programme enables you to deepen, strengthen and nurture your skills and development both as a teacher and practitioner.
- The course is open to students who may not wish to teach Yoga classes to the public, though may want the insight into Yoga to help their own profession, or personal journey.
Support during the course
- You will receive one to one and group support throughout the course.
- Our teachers are available for questions pre and post teaching sessions.
- We offer regular feedback, and encouragement to help nurture your development.
- Course work, home study assignments and practices are built gradually to reflect your skills and match the knowledge you will have gained each month.
There is a whole new wealth of knowledge to absorb and learn on the 200 hour Teacher Training Programmes; be ready, committed and prepared both off and on the mat. Create time for weekly home study, along with the upkeep of a regular Yoga practice and journal for the duration of the training. Be prepared for an interactive, challenging and rewarding learning experience.
Here at Bahia Yoga we do all we can to help you develop into the best Teacher you can be. During the trainings you will have regular scheduled breaks, a balance of practical and theory lessons to ensure your weekend is creative and manageable.
What do I need to do after the course has finished?
- Register as a teacher with Yoga Alliance USA.
- Once you have registered you will able to display RYT after your name (Registered Yoga Teacher) and use the Yoga Alliance logo. This is needed if you intend to teach Yoga upon course completion.
- Obtain a valid insurance certificate; this is also needed before you can teach Yoga.
Do I automatically qualify as a Yoga teacher?
No. In order to qualify as a Yoga teacher you will need to have:
- Attended 100% of the course
- Successfully completed all written assignments
- Satisfactorily completed the anatomy paper and yoga theory paper
- Observed 3 external classes with written observations
- Assisted in 2 external/ internal Yoga classes
- Participated and engaged in group presentations and group exercises
- Competently passed the final practicum exam, teaching a Yoga class before an examiner
- Possess an up to date three year valid First Aid Certificate
- The Bahia Yoga course offer letter outlines all the necessary information to successful applicants.
Will I be able to teach Yoga whilst I’m studying on the course?
When you pass your interim assessment; this will be approximately two thirds of the way into the course you have the option to begin teaching.
You will require specialist trainee insurance, in order to obtain this insurance you must declare you are a Teacher Trainee on the course and teach no more than two classes per week during your training course. You can discuss this in further detail with the Course Director. As well as having passed the interim assessment, and possessing valid insurance, at this stage you will need a valid First Aid Certificate.
Further guidelines are provided with the course offer letter.
What’s the best age to begin your training?
Will I still be able to apply for the course if I have had a gap in my Yoga practise?
Yes. Providing you have already had a committed regular practise and for some reason a short or long break has interrupted your physical practice you are still welcome to apply. For example if you took some time off during pregnancy and childbirth, or had an injury or recently relocated from another city, or other life circumstances suspended your practice. Please do talk with us first and we will still consider your application.
What if I am pregnant, can I still attend the course?
Firstly, many congratulations! It looks like you already have a life-changing 9-month journey to prepare for. We suggest getting back in touch a few months after the birth of your baby and we can keep you posted on new course dates for the following year.
Can I attend one of the Yoga courses or Yoga workshops with Bahia Yoga?
You are welcome to book onto Yoga workshops or the courses currently running at the Studio. In order to be considered for the teacher training programmes you will be asked to attend classes or a workshop at the studio.
Can I teach in gyms and set up my own private classes?
Yes the qualification entitles you to teach in gyms, and to set up your own private classes, or run yoga workshops and yoga retreats
This course and pending qualification allows you to teach worldwide